Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Altars in my school

As a student I cannot remember any classroom that had an altar. It wasn't just there but it would have been good if we had it. A place where one could say a short pray or find refuge when in need.
























But today, most classrooms in my school has an altar. The students offer water (choeb) and burn incense sticks in the morning and also butter lamps on auspicious days. In each class there is a student who initiates the offerings. And amazingly in all the cases it is always the boys who do this. But it could be also because the boys spend a lot of time in the classroom than the girls.


When you walk into a classroom in the morning you smell the incense burning and personally I feel that experience very prolific to the energy that accompanies me there. 

Some more photos 







The altars are made by the students themselves. They are made out of cardboards and painted elaborately. The kuthangs were also stitched by students. Of course they didn't do it in the school because the school doesn't have the necessary facilities or the tools. But something like this can be made abrasive if we can give them the support they need.  


Students offer nendar (money) before they sit for their exams. The money is later used to buy incense sticks or oil for the lamps. 






But I was also wondering, what about the christians or the hindus who are the minorities. Do they have an ambivalent attitude to these happenings? Or have they understood that "All religions are doors to the same House" - Steve Jobs.  

11 comments:

  1. It's very nice of you to capture shots of students' creativity... because next year it will all be changed or modified, it goes on and on. This post is a celebration of works of 2013 students, they will love it and forever cherish it. It will inspire the next group to do better. Salute to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Passatsheri. I hope the school will do more to inspire them.

      Delete
  2. wonderful la...there's always a good way forward when one connects with one's faith practically...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting Sogyal, yes I must say the students today are more connected to their faith and I hope the best happens for them.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are and thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing the spelling mistake Ata Rinchen. I need to be more careful with my spelling. And thank you for taking the time to read and especially comment.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for pointing the spelling mistake Ata Rinchen. I need to be more careful with my spelling. And thank you for taking the time to read and especially comment.

      Delete
  5. I really like that quote: "All religions are doors to the same house."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Steve Jobs said that.

    ReplyDelete